Parish Church of St. Simon and Judas Thaddäus



Spiritual sight with a long history: The Roman Catholic parish church stands east of the main square of the Waldviertel market town of Gars am Kamp. The listed church is dedicated to Saints Simon and Judas Thaddaeus. It belongs to the deanery Horn of the diocese Sankt Pölten.

The first ecclesiastical mention of Gars is documented in 1282. In 1387 a chapel of St. Simon was built, and more than 200 years later the parsonage and market church were built. After several fires had raged, the church was rebuilt in the early 18th century - using original parts and preserving the old choir. The present parish church was renovated several times, both inside and out. Today it shines in new splendor: with a magnificent nave under the gable roof, three-story tower, bells from the 14th and 16th centuries, and the organ built in the late 1970s.

Location and how to get there